[duxhelp] Optional hyphens

  • From: "Michael Surato" <suratomi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:54:27 -0400

Hi,

Recently I have been made aware of another difference between opening a
document and a cut-and-paste operation. When a document contains
"optional hyphens" they are printed in Braille as two cells containing
dots 3 and 5 when cut-and-pasted into a document, they are dropped when
opening the Word file directly. I have attached our current "torture"
file for the beta process. This contains all of the characters we have
historically experienced problems with. In this file there are some
corrected errors as well as some current issues. The corrected errors
are tabs and quotes (thank you very much). In addition to the optional
hyphens, the apostrophe character is still giving us some trouble. When
cut-and-pasted in, DBT translates this to two cells, one cell is dots 3,
5, and 6 and the other is dot 6. This is similar to a single ending
quote, but the second cell is a dot 6 rather than a dot 3. While this is
still not an apostrophe, I am wondering if this is a valid Braille
character at all, or if this represents two issues? If it is a valid
character, which character is it?

This document was pasted into Beta 6.

Thank you very much for working on this! The progress on these issues
are very much appreciated!

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      Resource Center for Persons          |
|           with Disabilities               |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            120 Bessey Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-9643 Fax: (517) 432-3191 |