[duxhelp] Re: Network install

  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:44:51 -0500

It has been my experience that IT staff that allows users to install
their own software have many more difficulties than simply installing it
themselves. It has been my practice (with MSI) to install software by
policy (with a transform if required). Adding the flexibility to change
the license location in the network install will allow for a single
network install location to split the licenses between several different
license servers. (using "msiexec /i <path>\dbt.msi
TRNASFORMS=<path>\server1.mst /qb+" or "msiexec /i <path>\dbt.msi
TRANSFORMS=<path>\server2.mst /qb+") This would use less server
resources than "msiexec /i <path>\server1\dbt.msi" and "msiexec /i
<path>\server2\dbt.msi".

This in the end is my opinion, but it seems to be the "standard" method
of using MSI in a network environment.

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      Resource Center for Persons          |
|           with Disabilities               |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            120 Bessey Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-9643 Fax: (517) 432-3191 |