[duxhelp] Re: More British code problems

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:45:48 -0400

David,

You are right to point out that the structure of the original Word document
is, in such cases, technically incorrect.

Historically, this has caused problems for DBT users, at least with certain
braille codes.  The problems come up with bold, italics, underline, and
perhaps other emphases, but not presumably with capitals.  (The importing
and translation of capitals is handled in a very significantly different
manner from emphases.)

On the assumption that such oddities in Word files are common, we started,
earlier in this beta cycle to attempt to handle such issues.  The release
notes from Beta 5 announce this with the following obscure entry:
- DBT will now strip spaces before [fte] codes after importing from a Word
document. This should prevent "dangling" end-italic indicators.

However, we're only stripping one or two spaces -- never more.  The approach
we're using requires that we choose a number of spaces beyond which we won't
fix the problem.  How many spaces do you suppose that should be?

And, if you're using beta 5 or newer, and find that this problem happens
with one or two spaces only, then it will help to get me a .doc file that
you've prepared to illustrate the problem.

Best Regards,

Peter