[duxhelp] Re: Marking page breaks

  • From: Susan <chrn3292@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:39:52 -0600

George and I got into this discussion last week. Here were my thoughts
about this dialog:

Mark from Word document is a poor choice of words: it means to respect
the page numbers you have used in Word, typically found in the footer.
Using this option means the file goes through DBTs Word macro. When the
file opens in DBT you get the page numbers inserted as [lea]#. Using
Preserve hard page breaks with this option is redundant (but not going
to hurt anything), because if you have a hard page break, you usually
have a new print page number, although I suppose there could be issues
if you discontinue page numbering for some reason, and then pick them up
again a few pages later.

Treat hard page breaks as print page breaks only works if Preserve hard
page breaks is also checked. In fact, the wording isn't accurate at all
... as hard page breaks = a new BRAILLE page (that is, [pg]) in DBT ...
no print page numbers are involved. It seems strange that choosing this
option wouldn't automatically set Preserve hard page breaks, because I
can't find any other way to use it if it isn't also checked.

Use publishers' <ipp no=#> reference page breaks can be used without or
without Preserve hard page breaks. It converts the <ipp no=#> tag to
[lea]#. If someone isn't doing any formatting in Word, there probably
wouldn't be hard page breaks in the file, but sometimes publishers do
use them (though not necessarily meaningful breaks that are useful for
us). If someone is formatting in Word before opening the file in DBT,
Preserve hard page breaks can be useful for such things as starting
certain types of headings on a new braille page, making sure a table
starts at the beginning of a new braille page, etc.

I think we could use some rewording for these options, to make the
meaning more apparent.

Susan