[duxhelp] Re: Help Problems

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:15:45 -0500

Albert,

In general, the Device Settings tab is less well described than some other
parts of the UI.  This is because it varies by manufacturer, and sometimes
even by model.  Unfortunately, every embosser out there has its own little
quirks; this is an effort we're making to accommodate them all.

Allow escape codes appears only for Enabling Technologies' models.  When
checked, we'll send escape codes to the embosser to set it in a way that
will be compatible with the job you're sending.  However, because Enabling
models don't find top of form automatically at the start of a new job, you
must still set the form length in the embosser, using the control panel,
then use 2E or 3E to locate the top of form.  You must do this any time you
change paper sizes, before running a job from DBT.

Other aspects of the embosser settings are managed by the escape codes DBT
sends, so you don't have to worry about them.

However, you will want to un-check Use escape codes in either of two
circumstances:
  1. If the embosser is set to not recognize escape codes, you must un-check
this option in DBT.  This is typically true only if you've set that option
explicitly in your embosser, or if your embosser is quite old.
  2. If you're having other output problems, it may help to un-check this
option; then you must tell DBT how your embsosser is set -- lines per page,
etc.

The F1 issue that you raise is known, and may likely to be resolved in this
beta cycle.  The trouble is that the dialog really is the same, though it's
been re-titled when brought up as "Document, Embosser Setup".  If George can
post specific URL's to two different topics, I may be able to get this
working today, but my focus will quickly drift elsewhere, and it may get
lost.