[duxhelp] Getting the right braille page size for 13 inch paper

  • From: David Holladay <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:07:45 -0500

To prevent format problems, we really need 2 sets of numbers.

One is somewhat subjective. That is the "recommended" settings for carriage width and form length for that embosser on that paper size. One one embosser, the maximum sizing might make a left margin so small as to make binding impossible. Or the maximum sizing may require very fussy adjustment to get all possible lines per page. In these situations, it is common to use recommendations that fall short of the maximum possible values.

The second set of numbers is the absolute number of characters per line. In many situations, you get bad format if one of the numbers is wrong. If the embosser is marked as "PageWrap" in the meb.elt table, then you get very bad output if you have the wrong number of lines per page. For most interpoint embossers, you get skewed interpoint if you have the wrong number of characters per line.

In fact we recently dealt with an embosser which gave bad output because someone gave us their "recommended" numbers instead of the "absolute maximum" numbers. Or maybe it was me who wrote them down wrong. But once the numbers were corrected, the braille started lining up correctly.

We are at a point where we are quite confident about the accuracy of the numbers in the emb.elt table. I hope that we can continue to serve our customers by being prudent in how we make additions to the table.

-- David Holladay

At 03:46 AM 4/10/2006, you wrote:

David
We run several embossers on our 13 inch paper. Our 'in-house default' is
38 characters and 30 lines. I believe that the Thiel and Index embossers
all work correctly with these settings. Kevin, a technician from
Technovision, did something to make the Thiel accept these settings with
10.5 but, due to very a variety of reasons I think the other embossers
are still running off machines with 10.4 on them.

David Spybey