[duxhelp] Re: Error on install

  • From: "Michael Surato" <suratomi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:33:10 -0500

Hi,

I think I understand a little more about what is happening. Out of
habit, I performed a few steps out of the prescribed order for the
network install. The first step was to run "msiexec /a" then perform all
installations from the network share. This made the activation location
dialog unavailable. This in turn did not result in a successful install
of this component. I attempted this both with and without entering a
license string into the installer. When I attempted this from the
downloaded MSI, the install worked properly. I have attached the
requested files for all 3 install attempts.

With this in mind, I would not let the installer silently succeed if an
activation location cannot be determined for some reason. Personally I
would not rely on a network assisted install to determine if this
location should be local or remote. This could result in some of these
errors.

This error will not allow for a "Network-Assisted Standalone Workstation
Installation" to succeed.

Now that I have a working copy, I will now perform the rest of the
network installation to see if that has further errors. Thank you very
much!

|            Michael Surato                 |
|      Resource Center for Persons          |
|           with Disabilities               |
|      Michigan State University            |
|            120 Bessey Hall                |
|        East Lansing, MI 48824             |
| Voice: (517) 353-9643 Fax: (517) 432-3191 |