[duxhelp] Re: Error on install

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:34:51 -0500

Hello Michael,

An install log is not normally created.  You can have one created by using a
command line the following:

msiexec /i %TEMP%\dbt-1006beta2.msi /L*v %TEMP%\dbt-1006beta2.log

Assuming that you've downloaded the .msi file to %TEMP%, this command will
create a very detailed log, also in %TEMP%.

You may need to remove the software before trying this.  Otherwise the
installer will want to maintain or repair DBT rather than installing it
anew.

I understand that you are likely to be trying installation on a network
where you share a limited number of activations among a larger number of
computers.  That will be very helpful to us, because the method we use for
doing this in DBT 10.6 is very different from what it was in DBT 10.5.  You
should also know these three things:
  1. Setting things up this way just didn't work in beta 1.  In fact, you'd
get precisely the error you've reported if you tried it.  The problem should
be resolved for beta 2, though you've perhaps already proven me wrong about
that.
  2. With beta 2, it is important to follow the instructions given near the
end of the beta web site.
  3. The error that you have encountered should mean that there is a problem
with a file called features.ini.  So I'll be interested in having a look at
that file.  You may find features.ini in one or both of two places:
  C:\Program Files\Duxbury\DBT 10.6 (Beta 2)
  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Duxbury\Activation\5369-8731-2729-7642-5710

To get me a full look at what's going on, you should send me:
  1. The installation log created using the procedure outlined above,
  2. Features.ini (both copies, if you find a copy in both possible places),
and
  3. A file called version.txt from the DBT installation directory.