[duxhelp] Re: Embosser setup woes

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:09:21 -0500

Warren,

I've re-read your original message, and think that I know what is going on.

There is nothing in the basic embosser setup dialogs that is supposed to
"stick" to the configuration.

Rather, the information in the Global, Embosser Setup dialog is stored such
that it will be used whenever a document doesn't have other "sticky
preferences".  The information in the Document, Embosser Setup dialog sticks
to each document, or to each template.

If you change these settings, what you're telling DBT is, in effect: I want
*this document* or *all documents without other preferences stored* to use,
for example, the new specified carriage width.  Even if you later redirect
an existing document to a different embosser, all other aspects of the
formatting will stay as close as they can to what they were before the
switch.

This is a bit of a change from DBT 10.5 as initially released.  As initially
released, every time you switched embossers, your document format settings
would be reset to the maximum possible for the new embosser.  This drove
people nuts.  Now, when you switch embosssers, your document format settings
aren't switched at all, if possible.

If you want to create a series of documents in each of a pair of different
format settings, here's a tip: don't set up a pair of configurations, but
instead create a pair of templates.  As designed, we envisioned that you
would create a new configuration only if there is actually a second
embosser.