[duxhelp] Re: Embosser Graphics testing

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:15:00 -0400

Michael,

The main thing is to make sure that you're getting something like WYSIWYG
results with different test cases.  We don't have a comprehensive set of
test cases.  And, given the different nature of graphics possibilities on
different embosser families, I'm not sure that we even could have a
comprehensive set for multiple families.  But I can give you some idea of
what tends to go wrong.

We often misunderstand the ratio of graphics spacing to text spacing.  This
should be harder to do on a Tiger than on other families, because everything
is done as graphics.  But DBT isn't built to match this, so we wind up
having to determine and rely on ratios anyhow.

When we get the ratio wrong, then graphics will be represented badly on the
DBT screen or page breaks will be incorrect.  We can wind up leaving blank
space down at the bottom of a page if we think an image is larger than it
turns out to be on the device.  We can wind up overruning the page if we
think that an image is smaller than it turns out to be.  In the case of a
Tiger embosser, this would result in the image being clipped at the bottom
or right edge of the page.

DBT's graphics centering feature won't work if we've miscomputed things
either.