[duxhelp] Re: DBT Installation

  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:25:12 +0100

I'm with you on this one, Peter.

As you know, we have many network/multiple users here in the
U.K.

Sullivan
> Sent: 03 June 2005 20:14
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] DBT Installation
>
> Beta Testers,
>
> You may well be wondering where we're at with DBT 10.6.
>
> It appears to me that the time is right to switch DBT's
installation
> procedure.  While what is now DBT 10.6 remained a "service

> pack" release to
> DBT 10.5, I didn't want to do this.  However, with the new
numeric
> designation we have a bit of freedom.
>
> We've also been hearing more lately about installation
problems.

> What I propose to do is to retire our "homemade" SETUP.EXE

> process in favor
> of a Windows Installer (.MSI) solution, built with a
> commercial installation
> builder.  The following will be among our design goals:
>
> 1. Interactive and Administrative (automated)
installations will be
> supported.
> 2. Installation will be localizable, using the same
procedure
> that allows
> localization of the DBT interface itself.  (For those of
you
> unfamiliar with
> this process, our partners web site allows certain of our
> business partners
> to edit the interface strings in various languages.)
> 3. Add/Remove will work properly (for a change).
> 4. It will remain possible to have installed different
editions of the
> software, each independent of the other.  Indeed each
release
> -- even beta
> 1, beta 2, etc. -- will be independent.  This does imply
that
> pre-release
> testers may want to periodically use Add/Remove to clean
out
> old pre-release
> versions.
> 5. When a Service Release is approved, it will be set to
> install over the
> earlier version with the same major & minor version, so
that
> users who do
> not do pre-release testing will not experience the same
DBT
> overload in
> Add/Remove programs.
> 6. Installation will give the option of installing a
computer to use a
> centrally-managed, possibly multi-user option (as can now
be done with
> NETINST) or to use a client-hosted activation.  This
option
> will also be
> available for Administrative installations.
>
> All current installation options should remain possible.
>
> I do not at this time propose to try solving the problem
that
> installation
> of SWIFT & Word BANA Templates is not possible for "All
Users".

> Also -- and importantly for some -- switching to a .MSI
> installer will mean
> retiring NETINST.  Network adminstrators will instead be
> urged to use the
> Administrative installation options built into Windows
Installer.  The
> difference to the end user will be that the resulting
> installation will have
> software installed on the local machine.  This should
improve
> performance
> without affecting maintainability.  Moreover, while the
> software will be
> local, the activation may either be local or server-based,
as
> explained
> above.
>
> For those of you who have single-user installations, the
> impact should be
> essentially none.  I'm most interested in hearing thoughts

> from those among
> you who manage larger installations, or work with people
who do so.

> If we do go forward, the new installer will certainly need

> some testing.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Peter

> * as the subject to <duxhelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You
may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other
subscription
> * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.  The list
archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com