[duxhelp] Re: DBT Beta:templates missing

  • From: Melissa Hirshson <lissa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:04:48 -0500

Hi Joe,

It's always that "do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?" question. :) If it's easier for you to leave out the option and it would only cause confusion for people, then by all means take it out; the few people who need it would only be minimally inconvenienced by adding the $caplv code. IMHO of course.

Lissa

Joe Sullivan wrote:
  Hi David & other beta testers,

The expected four options are actually there in the sense that you can obtain any combination of old and new rules, and with and without caps. (There's even a useless fifth option, which I will come to.) However, as far as templates are concerned, since those come into play only when starting a new file (as contrasted with doing more work with an existing .dxp file), and we assume that users will almost certainly want to use the new rules in that circumstance, we have only provided two templates to cover the caps/no caps option with the new rules. If you want to start a new file and for some reason want to use the old rules, just pick the appropriate template as to the caps/no caps option and then go to the Document / Translation table menu and choose the "English/British (pre-2005 rules) with Capitals" table. You should make that choice even if you used the "no capitals in literary" template -- because the capitalization level setting in the template (specifically, the [caplv1] or [caplv3] command in the "initial" style) is what really counts for purposes of suppressing the capitals in the literary portion of the text.

What may cause understandable confusion is the presence of the "English/British (pre-2005 rules) without any capitals" item on the Document / Translation tables menu. With that selection, you get no capitals in any portion of the text, not even in mathematics. We have come to understand, however, that capitals are normally wanted in math even when they are being suppressed in the literary text -- and so an option to suppress all capitals everywhere is essentially useless and should normally not be selected without a very special reason. On the other hand, some .dxp files created using DBT 10.4 or older, and which in fact contained only literary text, do suppress capitals by using this table option rather than via the [caplv1] command that was introduced in DBT 10.5. If we were to remove the option from the Translation Tables menu, and such files were re-translated using the new DBT, then by default they would suddenly show capitals, which would cause another kind of confusion.

Despite this latter potential problem, which I suspect would be rare, I have been tempted and am still tempted to remove the "without any capitals" table option from the Translation Table menu and the words "with Capitals" from the other "pre-2005" setting. That way, I think it would be clearer that the table selection is no longer the way to control capitals -- the [caplv...] command is the appropriate tool for that, usually set in the "initial" style of the template that you use. I'll be glad to hear any and all opinions about this.

Regards,
Joe Sullivan

Subject: RE: DBT Beta:templates missing
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:34:53 -0000
From: "David Spybey" <dspybey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: david@xxxxxxxxxx

Peter

In 10.5 there are 4 options to open a 'British/English' file. In 10.6
there seems to be only 2. Once in a document there appear to be only 3
options for translating and not the expected 4.

David Spybey

* * * * This message is via list duxhelp at freelists.org. * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with * unsubscribe * as the subject to <duxhelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode and other subscription * options by visiting http://www.freelists.org. The list archive * is also located there. * Duxbury Systems' web site is http://www.duxburysystems.com * * *