[duxhelp] Re: Curious asks! Why the difference between the [lea] and [pv] codes?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:37:18 +0100

Hi Jack,

I CAN tell you how to search for special things in Word for Windows, and
indeed it's so easy, you'll want to scream.

When you open up the Search & Replace dialog in Word, there is a button
labelled "More".  That extends the dialog box, and gives you two more
buttons, "Format" and "Special".

Click on "Special", and a selection list will come up.  You will see for
example, "Paragraph Mark" and "Tab Character" at the top of this list.

You will find that if you select "Paragraph Mark" - which in essence is
a hard carriage return, it will put "^p" (caret and letter p) into the
"Find What" or "Replace with".

I've extracted the list below from Word's Help files.

George.

Codes that work in the Find what or Replace with box
To specify:
Paragraph mark ()
Type ^p (doesn't work in the Find what box when wildcards are on) or
type ^13
Tab character ()
Type ^t or type ^9
ASCII character
Type ^nnn, where nnn is the character code
ANSI character
Type ^0nnn, where 0 is zero and nnn is the character code
Em dash (- )
Type ^+
En dash ( - )
Type ^=
Caret character
Type ^^
Manual line break ()
Type ^l or type ^11
Column break
Type ^n or type ^14
Page or section break
Type ^12 (when replacing, inserts a page break)
Manual page break
Type ^m (also finds or replaces section breaks when wildcards are on)
Nonbreaking space ()
Type ^s
Nonbreaking hyphen ()
Type ^~
Optional hyphen ()
Type ^-
Code that works in the Find what box only (when wildcards are on)
Picture or graphic (inline only)
Type ^g
Codes that work in the Find what box only (when wildcards are off)
Any character
Type ^?
Any digit
Type ^#
Any letter
Type ^$
Unicode character
Type ^Unnnn where nnnn is the character code
Picture or graphic (inline only)
Type ^1
Footnote mark
Type ^f or type ^2
Endnote mark
Type ^e
Field
Type ^d
Opening field brace (when field codes are visible)
Type ^19
Closing field brace (when field codes are visible)
Type ^21
Comment
Type ^a or type ^5
Section break
Type ^b
Em space (Unicode)
Type ^u8195
En space (Unicode)
Type ^u8194
White space
Type ^w (any combination of regular and nonbreaking spaces, and tab
characters)
Codes that work in the Replace with box only
Windows Clipboard contents
Type ^c
Contents of the Find what box
Type ^&
Notes

If you include the optional hyphen code, Word finds only text with
optional hyphens in the position you specified. If you omit the optional
hyphen code, Word finds all matching text, including text with optional
hyphens.
If you're searching for fields, you must display field codes. To switch
between displaying field codes and field results, click the field, and
press SHIFT+F9. To show or hide field codes for all fields in the
document, press ALT+F9.
If you're searching for graphics, Word finds only inline graphics; Word
does not find floating graphics. By default, Word inserts imported
graphics as inline graphics, but you can change a floating graphic to an
inline graphic.
To find a character using the Unicode value, select the Match Case check
box. If you clear the Match Case check box, Word searches all instances
of uppercase and lowercase characters specified by the value.  field.

Once you know what they are, you can just type ^p, ^t (tab) or whatever
you want to look for.

While visiting this topic, note that the "Format" button allows you to
search for a Format, and replace it with another.