[duxhelp] Re: Braille display quirk

  • From: "Caryn Navy" <caryn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:07:11 -0400

Hello Betsy.  I was puzzled by your report of the JAWS braille options
switching back to Structured braille mode and no Tethering of braille and
active cursors when you switch back into DBT from another application.  I
was puzzled because I thought that you were changing the settings in your
JAWS configuration file for DBT.  But then I re-read your earlier message,
and I realized that you were changing these settings with the BrailleNote
keys, and not chaging the .jcf file.

Thanks to your messages, I have realized that I set some things in the JAWS
configuration file for DBT that were in accordance with my own preferences,
but not necessary to inflict on other users.  So I have redone the dbtw.jcf
configuration file, being careful to set only those things that are relevant
for DBT.  In particular, now the setting for Braille mode is left at the
user's default setting.  Interestingly enough, in JAWS 4.X the factory-set
default for this seems to be Line, but in JAWS 5.0 the factory-set default
for this seems to be Structured.

The issue of tethering is a bit more involved.  I've gone ahead and left out
any setting for tethering.  Again, interestingly enough, in JAWS 4.X the
default setting for this seems to be tethering on, and in JAWS 5.0 it seems
to be tethering off.  Here's the complication.  When tethering is on, the
mechanism in the script file that prevents the appearance of extra blank
spaces in the lefthand cells of the braille display no longer works.  So I
am inclined to turn tethering off, even though you prefer having it on.

So I'd like to know more about why you prefer having tethering on.  Is it so
that blank paragraphs appear on the display when you use the BrailleNote's
Next and Previous keys to move by line.  If so, you might like having the
BrailleNote's Next and Previous keys act just like the computer's DownArrow
and UpArrow keys in DBT.  I've done that in my JAWS keyboard settings for
DBT, and I think it works nicely.