[duxhelp] Re: Bolding, underlining, italics etc

  • From: "Jack Maartman" <jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:22:50 -0700

Hi Dave:

You have touched on some interesting issues here.  Firstly, one has only to
compare the differences between BAUK and Bana countries with respect to what
they consider relevant.  When is bolding needed and when isn't it. I should
comb the Bana Formats book to see when something isn't relevant.  A good
example is what has happened in music braille.  There are two kinds,
facsimile and plain. In Facsimile transcriptions, there are directives that
have no relevance for the blind musician, but are absolutely necessary for
the teacher. I have heard from the European community that North American
braille contains far too much information.  The codebooks for Bauk Math and
Science are slim volumes, and for France, yet slimmer.  Yet I think there
are few of us who would whole-heartedly abandon  the elegance of the Nemeth
Code.  Yet we are in a quandry.  If you are brailling for fifth or sixth
graders, you would'nt want to clutter up the text with too many composition
signs.  If you were brailling for me, having once been an avid optacon user,
I'd want to know about every font change, how many columns to the page, etc,
etc, and by god I'd be willing to pay for such information, and it would be
very very custom braille.  I produce a lot of books for my own use, for a
braille lite m40, and the braille is appalling, but suits my purposes fine,
but I wouldn't dream of selling it.  In sum, braille with an inventory of
only 64 invariable signs, considering that it can conceivably represent "any
mark ever made by man," is a downright miracle. And I agree with you
absolutely, that the skilled use of a braille translator, which is as much
an art as cabinet making will make all the difference, even if some portions
of the text still have to be keyed in.

Cheers
Jack