[duxhelp] Re: Bolding, underlining, italics etc

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:49:18 -0400

I agree with you to a certain extent.

However, what happens when you get headings that might have bold,
italics and underline applied to them in order to make those headings
stand out for the sighted reader but which are not essential to a
braille reader.

How about headings that might have various combinations of these types
of enhancements.  Because not all emphasized text is bolded.  You
might have text that is italicized as well as underlined.  There
again, you might have text that is bolded and italicized or, bolded
and underlined.

As I have said on many occasions before and I will probably say it
again, "if you want a job done well, then do it right and if you are a
person who likes doing a job well, then you will go that extra mile or
kilometer in order to achieve the result that you want.

For a cabinet maker to produce a good finished product, he/she has to
use the right tools, in the right way and using some elbow grease, in
order to produce a smooth satin finish, that is pleasant to the touch
and appealing to the eye.

Unfortunately, a large number of people who claim to be able to
transcribe braille materials, do not take the time or make any real
effort to learn programs such as MegaDots and DBT well enough and with
no degree of competence even to be able to demonstrate that they can
produce anything like what I would call "quality braille output".  In
fact I would go as far as to say, that these individuals should be
ashamed of themselves actually not only producing poor quality braille
output but, they actually have the gall and the nerve to receive money
from customers in exchange for badly produced products.  Shame on
them!  On the other hand, it could be said that those people who paid
good money and received a bad product and didn't complain about that
product to the person who produced it, (1) got what they paid for, and
(2) deserved what they got.

In all good conscience and without any hesitation, I know that my
standard of braille production is of an extremely high standard
because I have made it my business to ensure that it is so.  Because I
believe that if you are selling a product, then you should make it as
well as possible.  I also believe, that if you want to produce high
quality braille, you should always be open to constructive criticism
and to good quality suggestions.  In both of these respects, I have
been fortunate in both areas.

Like a cabinet maker, how good or bad a transcriber is could be summed
up in the following saying, "the proof of the pudding is in the
eating".  So, in the end, it depends on what an individual considers
to be "good quality braille" or "bad quality braille".

Sincerely:

Dave Durber