[duxhelp] Re: Beta 4 status

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:03:52 +0100

Hi J.R.

I was once reliably informed by a Boston Taxi
driver that in that Duxbury's part of the world,
they go by McGillicuddy's Law.

When I asked what McGillicuddy's Laws was, he
replied, "Murphy was an optimist!".

George.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
> [mailto:duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Westmoreland, J. R.
> Sent: 07 July 2004 17:45
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] Re: Beta 4 status
> 
> Sounds good.
> Just thought I'd check since I was off at NFB
convention for 
> about a week and a half.
> Ah, the joys  of re-entrant programming...
> Murphy bites when ever he can... <grin> 
> 
> 
> ______________________________
> J. R. Westmoreland
> PacifiCorp
> I/T
> Telecomm Data Communications
> Phone: (801) 220-4784
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
> [mailto:duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of Peter Sullivan
> Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 10:32 AM
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] Re: Beta 4 status
> 
> J. R.,
> 
> A beta 4 candidate is in testing now.  It's the
fourth such 
> candidate, alas.
> But it's been in testing for several hours
without failing, 
> so it's breaking new ground for this round.  If
all goes 
> well, I'll have it posted late today or tomorrow
morning.
> 
> The holdup for the last week has been the
discovery that 
> embossing documents may sometimes result in
scrambled output, 
> such that the third page of output, for example,
might end 
> with the last ten lines of page five.
> Chances are that the bug existed in beta 3 also,
though I 
> haven't heard from any of our testers about it.
But we 
> thought it necessary to squash it straight away
if possible.  
> The problem turns out to have been due to three
buffer 
> overrun heap corruption problems in the embosser
output 
> module, and a problem with buffer re-use within
code that was 
> called re-entrantly.  You're among a few on the
list that 
> might appreciate why this took a week to find.
> 
> For what it's worth, even beta 3 is relatively
safe from this 
> bug as long as you let DBT sit idle until all
data is sent to 
> the embosser.
> 
> - Peter
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
> [mailto:duxhelp-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of Westmoreland, J. R.
> Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 12:13 PM
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] Beta 4 status
> 
> The list has been VERY quite for a while...
> What is the status of the next beta release?
>  
> 
> ______________________________
> J. R. Westmoreland
> PacifiCorp
> I/T
> Telecomm Data Communications
> Phone: (801) 220-4784
> 
> 
>  
> 
>
--------------------------------------------------
------------
> ----------
> ----
> --
> 
> This email is confidential and may be legally
privileged.
> 
> It is intended solely for the addressee. Access
to this email 
> by anyone else, unless expressly approved by the
sender or an 
> authorized addressee, is unauthorized.
> 
> If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, 
> copying, distribution or any action omitted or
taken in 
> reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you 
> believe that you have received this email in
error, please 
> contact the sender, delete this e-mail and
destroy all copies.
> 
>
==================================================
============
> ==========
> ====
> ==
> 
> 
> 
> * * *
> * This message is via list duxhelp at
freelists.org.
> * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with
> *   unsubscribe
> * as the subject to
<duxhelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode
and other subscription
> * options by visiting http://www.freelists.org.
The list archive
> * is also located there.
> * Duxbury Systems' web site is
http://www.duxburysystems.com
> * * *
> 
> 
> 
>
--------------------------------------------------
------------
> ----------------
> 
> This email is confidential and may be legally
privileged.
> 
> It is intended solely for the addressee. Access
to this email 
> by anyone else, unless expressly approved by the
sender or an 
> authorized addressee, is unauthorized.
> 
> If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, 
> copying, distribution or any action omitted or
taken in 
> reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you 
> believe that you have received this email in
error, please 
> contact the sender, delete this e-mail and
destroy all copies.
> 
>
==================================================
============
> ================
> 
> * * *
> * This message is via list duxhelp at
freelists.org.
> * To unsubscribe, send a blank message with
> *   unsubscribe
> * as the subject to
<duxhelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode
and other subscription
> * options by visiting http://www.freelists.org.
The list archive
> * is also located there.
> * Duxbury Systems' web site is
http://www.duxburysystems.com
> * * *
> 

Other related posts: