[duxhelp] Behavior of undo with Replace

  • From: "Joanmarie Diggs" <joanmarie.diggs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:06:09 -0500

Hi all.  I do not know if this is by design or not, so I'm tossing it out
there:

1.  Do a find and replace for an item that appears multiple times in your
document.
2.  Do NOT choose All; instead, choose Yes each time so that each
replacement is an individual action
3.  After you complete the above and return to your document, press Control
Z to undo.

Expected behavior (in my mind): The last replacement -- and ONLY the last
replacement -- gets undone.
Actual behavior: Everything that was replaced gets undone

The reason I expected only the last replacement to get undone is because
that is how Word works.  I realize that this does not mean that Duxbury
should work this way as well, though there is something to be said for
familiarity/consistency.  Regardless, I can see another problem with the
current implementation:  All too often when I do a find and replace, I'm a
little trigger happy with the Yes button. <grin> I press Yes and then
immediately realize I should have pressed No.  At that point what I would do
is escape out of the dialog, fix -- or with 10.6, undo -- that last
replacement, and then resume the find/replace.  That won't work with the
current implementation.

Take care.
Joanie