[dungeoncrawl] Re: Thursday morning summary

  • From: Johnathan Detrick <jdetrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dungeoncrawl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:34:16 -0400

    I can understand your sentiments on Nadan.  But I'm surprised to
hear you say he has a bad attitude.  I don't see it as bad.  I see it as
him standing up for what he believes in.  I think if he had stayed quiet
and not confronted Ariakas, it would have been a cop-out.  Same with
confronting Elminster, Mileena and Magnus.  In my eyes, he's actually
acting his alignment.
    I'm quite enjoying the idea that Nadan is very powerful.  He knows
that he has a lot of strength and he isn't willing to compromise his
principles.  For so many years Magnus has lorded things over the Riders,
in part due to the fact that he could wipe the floor with most of them.
Now he has to face someone with as much power as he has, and the
strength to stand up to him.  I love the battle of wills between the two
of them and just wish they both weren't my character.  :)
    Don't worry about Nadan dying, especially if it comes about because
he stands up for his beliefs.  He wasn't intentionally antagonizing
Ariakas, but he is a cleric of Talos, whose pretty opposed to everything
Lathander stands for.  If Ariakas had killed him, so be it.  Not a
problem on my end.
    But Jim, don't let Nadan intimidate you.  I think, that out of all
of us, high level characters cause you more concern than any other DM.
Nadan is not invulnerable.  He takes damage (a lot of damage usually)
and can be hurt.  He has no real protections, and his hit points, while
high, are not astronomical.  When hit, does he not bleed?  :)  Trust me,
he was close to death quite a bit last night.
    I do have an apology to make to you though.  I had Nadan cast
spontaneous healing last night, as clerics can do.  I thought he could
also swap out Heal and Mass Heal spells as well.  Damon mentioned last
night, when we looked up the rules to see if he could spontaneously cast
Resurrection, that the rules say only spells with Cure in the title.  I
checked it out last night, and Damon was right.  So Nadan should not
have been able to cast as many Mass Heal spells as he did last night.
That should make you feel somewhat better.  He takes one and that's it.