[drivingpairs] Re: Tandemania

  • From: Wendy Ying <wendy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:25:39 -0400

>     Well my dream to have a Tandem will be coming true this weekend.
>I am going to Vermont to participate in 3 days and 5 lessons with
>Sterling Graburn. I will tell you a little how I prepared for this
>opportunity. The leader has about 10 years of single driving
>experience and the Wheeler has about 4 years. Both have driven
>extensively out on the roads and in competition. They are STB
>sisters. I had to think what might be helpful to prepare them for
>the clinic. Due to the neverending winter I have only been able to
>work with them for a few weeks. I decided to start to tune them up
>by grounddriving first to get them very responsive to voice. When
>grounddriving my leader I put her way out in front so that I could
>get use to her being farther away. They were ground driven single.
>They have both been driven a few times as a pair mainly to see how
>they would respond to each other.
>     I then decided to "ride tandem" . I rode the wheeler and
>longlined the leader in front of me. I have to say this was one of
>the most difficult things I have tried. Fortunately both horses were
>pretty calm about it. I also tried to practice my whip skills with a
>longer whip and lash. I think a rein board would have been a very
>good idea and I appreciate the suggestions on how to make one. I
>suspect I will need alot of hours of practice before becoming more
>     Will let you know how the clinic goes. I do have Mary Ruth
>Mark's handbook and have read it several times. I think it is an
>excellent resource . Sometimes you just have to pursue your dreams
>whether things work out or not!
>To Unsubscribe, change to Digest or Vacation mode go to:

good luck ansley....sounds like great fun...  you will love tandem
and then you will be hooked like the rest of us :)

I have a tip from Tracey higgins...she drives 2 brother's tandem...
she just keeps saying...."Good boy Dancer, Follow your brother"

i have always wanted to ride my 2 irish draughts tandem ( they both
drive single) but have never had the guts to get on and do it.

Wendy Ying,DVM
Irish Hobby Farm
Bluemont, Virginia