[drivingpairs] Tandemania

  • From: "Anewton" <anewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:33:50 -0400

    Well my dream to have a Tandem will be coming true this weekend. I am going
to Vermont to participate in 3 days and 5 lessons with Sterling Graburn. I will
tell you a little how I prepared for this opportunity. The leader has about 10
years of single driving experience and the Wheeler has about 4 years. Both have
driven extensively out on the roads and in competition. They are STB sisters. I
had to think what might be helpful to prepare them for the clinic. Due to the
neverending winter I have only been able to work with them for a few weeks. I
decided to start to tune them up by grounddriving first to get them very
responsive to voice. When grounddriving my leader I put her way out in front so
that I could get use to her being farther away. They were ground driven single.
They have both been driven a few times as a pair mainly to see how they would
respond to each other.
    I then decided to "ride tandem" . I rode the wheeler and longlined the
leader in front of me. I have to say this was one of the most difficult things
I have tried. Fortunately both horses were pretty calm about it. I also tried
to practice my whip skills with a longer whip and lash. I think a rein board
would have been a very good idea and I appreciate the suggestions on how to
make one. I suspect I will need alot of hours of practice before becoming more
proficient.
    Will let you know how the clinic goes. I do have Mary Ruth Mark's handbook
and have read it several times. I think it is an excellent resource . Sometimes
you just have to pursue your dreams whether things work out or not!

Ansley