[drivingpairs] Re: Scurry anyone?

  • From: "Patti Atkinson" <patti.atkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:23:30 +0100

Well, here's a reply from an English competitor who has watched scurry but
I'm definitely not an authority!
From what I understand scurry is going as fast as possible through a course
of cones. Fastest wins. Classes are split into two sizes, under 12hh and
over (not sure if that's the correct size, might be a little out.)
Only pairs of ponies compete, often being given names like
Bits & Pieces
Sugar & Spice
Marks & Sparks
The vehicles are specially designed to be very stable and the groom, who
sits behind the driver, must not lift bum off seat.This is their
associations website
http://www.scurrydrivers.co.uk/

Indoor Strongid P is quite different. Its the equivalent of outdoor driving
trials, dressage, cones and marathon, held indoors during the winter.
Competitors, who can wear marathon outfits throughout, drive a specified
dressage test , then a cones course.
They follow this with two obstacles, normally flagged to F, that they get 10
mins to memorise then drive. They are then reflagged and they get the 10
mins and drive again.
Lowest penalty points win. There is no marathon (distance) element.
The link below gives lots of info on indoor driving.
http://www.indoordriving.co.uk/
or
http://www.horsedrivingtrials.co.uk on driving trials in the UK.

Hope that's OK for you, but I have never done either although I have judged
at an indoor event. I spend so much time competing and judging in the summer
at the outdoor events that I need the winter off!!!

Patti, Durham, England.