[dps-chat] Re: Speaking of things gleaned from Trove etc ...

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:31:41 +0800

Thanks for that John ...

Your suggestions are spot on.

The image examples you've attached are great and I commend them to others to peruse as a perfect example of the issues I've been mentioning.

Rob!

On 19/02/2017 1:11 PM, Archie wrote:

Hi Rob,

While talking about TROVE, how many people use the 'edit and save' function for the text translation that appears to the left of the newspaper image?
.

I do use that facility quite often - time is a bit of a constraint but I think it a courtesy to others who follow me.
I find it disappointing that after I've corrected it under my login details, there is no way for people researching the same name after me to track me down and compare notes ... is there a way to get around this? I have some thoughts, but they're probably not practical.

I have attached two pics to explain how to find sources for changes. Simple - once you know how - but not easy to find the first time round :)

Finally ... I'd love a cleverer person than me to share some secrets about how they make TROVE work even better for them ... recently I was looking for ZINKLER in the wheatbelt and couldn't crack the case until I searched under ZIN and ZINK as the name was hyphenated and the LER was on the next line!!!!
The only suggestion I have is experiment, experiment, experiment! I've been looking for Smiths - and I have found initials, front and back; names, front and back (Smith A.G. or A.G. Smith), use a part of the name (as you suggest) if you have a location try location instead of name, same applies to nicknames and - and - and - it is all a matter of trial and error. I have found no definitive way of FINDING - other than continuous and varied LOOKING! Trove is wonderful but can be (often is) very very frustrating!

regards, John

---