[dps-chat] Re: Anybody tried spitting in the test tube yet?

  • From: Allan Cresswell <cressie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 19:24:52 +0800

Hi Sharon and All

Many years ago I did my DNA both for Y-Chromosome DNA (Father's line) and also Mitochondrial DNA (Mother's Line). My Anglo-Saxon side (Father) came back as Poland and my Greek side ancestry (Mother) came back as Syria. As these tests were looking at the Fathers-Fathers-Father etc and Mothers-Mothers-Mother etc it didn't prove all that much. It did prove that my Dad was really my Dad, as he also did the test.

I did the new AncestryDNA autosomal test a few months ago and it gave me some interesting results which confirmed that my Tasmanian Ancestry included a small (2%) Australian Aboriginal DNA. This computes well with my belief that I am 1/64 aboriginal. It also gave me a total of 84 4th cousins or closer and 4,674 5th to 8th cousins. I also entered the raw DNA data into My Heritage and further matches have been made.

At the moment I am just sitting back waiting for contacts as I do not have the time to look into all these matches. Today the first one came in via Ancestry.com from England. The lady is in the 5th to 8th cousin range but as she has done extensive research she made a match through to my great great grandmother. But the exciting part is that her tree now takes me back to a 10x great grandmother and numerous other 8x and 9x great grandparents. Back to the 1500's on a couple of lines. I was thrilled. She provided extensive info that allowed me to go back further on a previous brick wall! I have replied to her and am waiting her response.

Perhaps there are other exciting results to come?

I am also finding that I am matching with every person who has done the test if their ancestry includes the Greek Island of Castellorizo. As the island population was never over 8,000 (today it is 400) I automatically make a match. I call it the one degree of separation!

Regards

Allan