[donspatch] 2012-02-01

#169 February 1, 2012 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  http://www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

We've had an unseasonably warm winter which has given me
more opportunities to work on our house but it seems like
there's always some other project consuming my time.  It's
frustrating at times but I just keep reminding myself how
one may eat an elephant (one bite at a time) and try to
stay focused on the 'big picture'.

Patrick Barden must be psychic or something.  Just when we
were wondering how we'd ever get this issue posted he
decided to contribute a couple of sections.

Thank you ever so much Patrick.  Even with your help it's
going to be after 3:00 AM when I finally get this posted.

I've awakened to soft, pleasant music from Lisa's new
ukulele, as she sits in the kitchen practicing, on several
occasions over the past three weeks.  looks like the uke
will turn out to have been one of my wiser investments.
She's having a wonderful time with it.  Now I'm tempted to
buy one for myself so we can play duets.  :)

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Lisa on...

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google plus.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Our email group is a low traffic, non-topical,
'hanging with friends' sort of email discussion
group available to our friends and subscribers.
If you'd like to join the discussion, or just
lurk and 'listen in', send us a message from
our contact page and let us know what email
address you'd like to be subscribed under.

Section One by Don.

Barbie trashes her dream house.
http://goo.gl/p5X3m (flickr dot com)

Kathy is something of a hottie but, beyond that, she's
a video junky and her blog is quite an adventure.
http://snipurl.com/21yxhsj (mamacatslosinit dot com)
More where that came from.
http://www.mamakatslosinit.com/

A small but interesting collection of duck-ish things.
http://www.thispeanutlookslikeaduck.com/quack/

Speaking of which, insofar as I can tell, nothing liste
on the previously listed web page pass the Duck Test.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test

As odd as it's name is, the Gimp is a free (Open Source)
alternative to photoshop.   http://www.gimp.org/
Like photoshop, the Gimp is not a simple software and
there's a learning curse attached to using it but
tutorials are easy to find.
http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials.php
http://gimps.de/
http://gimpology.com/
http://gimp-tutorials.net/
http://www.gimpplus.com/
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GIMP
There are also a lot of nice plugins available for the Gimp.
http://registry.gimp.org/

Just a bunch of monkey business (video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY

Once in a while life deals us lemons so we learn to make
lemonade but I don't know anybody, anywhere, who has a
greater gift for making lemonade than Jenny Lawson, AKA
the Bloggess.  She's a genuine hero and her wonderful
traveling red dress is among the least of her many
wondrous accomplishments.  This story is awesome.
http://thebloggess.com/2010/05/the-traveling-red-dress/

A nice font for a tweet, or, pay whatever you like for it.
http://cassannet.net/

Pick one, click on it and see an emulated reboot of that
particular computer operating system.   Historically cool.
http://www.therestartpage.com/

TreePad is an award-winning Personal Information
Manager (and there's a free version available).
http://www.treepad.com/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and http://www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Press this button in dire situations.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

The copyright wars are just the beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEvRyemKSg

Time for a change...
http://goo.gl/rq2s7
http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/hanke.henry.pdf

Typography as art.
http://www.behance.net/gallery/paper-typography/858836

Old, but stubborn myths about food.
http://goo.gl/7l7OV

Unbelievable banjo-pickin' little dude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qbB4Kq3Y0

Celebration of gargantuan groceries.
http://www.manvsfoodlocations.com/

A selection of forms for use in everyday life.
http://bureauofcommunication.com/

When is the best time to buy stuff?
http://goo.gl/7l7OV

The best movie taglines.
http://goo.gl/Tj4uh

Sorry, but you can't fix stupid.
http://goo.gl/5oO2e

Think you've seen ugly sweaters?
http://ugly-sweater.blogspot.com/

One of the best free ebooks sites.
http://www.manybooks.net/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 361.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other media related
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGlN_EaEgPQ
http://pete.com/
http://www.globalgiving.org/
http://whatstrending.com/
http://www.tipjunkie.com/
http://www.myfavoritestranger.com/
http://www.giselezelauy.blogspot.com/
http://tommydark.blogspot.com/
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/#/radio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sse0CXDuv64
http://www.youtube.com/user/PositiveSongsChannel
http://jcfiske.com/
http://www.wethepeoplefoundation.org/
http://givemeliberty.org/
http://blogginglily.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR12Z8f1Dh8
http://lifejustkeepsgettingweirder.blogspot.com/
http://soundcloud.com/kitchensisters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fKvsZ_NdWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw4EEs0eAQY
http://www.youtube.com/user/tttholcomb

Section Three by guest editor Patrick Barden.
( http://romanroadwalker.wordpress.com/ )

Entanglement is a simple game of twists
and turns set to beautiful music.
http://entanglement.gopherwoodstudios.com/light

Panda Poet is a cute word game with pandas.
http://game.pandapoet.com/

Photo Pin - free photos for bloggers.
http://photopin.com/

Movie Pilot - find and follow upcoming movies.
http://moviepilot.com/

When you need a simple web page FAST.
http://www.pageorama.com/

Everyone needs a nap and Dr Sarah knows how to
get the perfect nap.   http://saramednick.com
And use her nap wheel to find the time for your perfect nap.
http://saramednick.com/htmls/book/napwheel.htm

Who's first if 'I Am Second'.  Inspiring videos by
Christians from all walks of life.
http://www.iamsecond.com/

Now you have a reason to get your cat it's own Ipad.
http://www.gamesforcats.com/

Videos to explain everything (almost).
http://www.explania.com/en

Bilingual Search Engine.
http://www.sobotong.com/gl/

One stop shop for popular links in many categories.
http://www.474747.net/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
http://www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Don.

I love libraries but I've never seen one like these.
http://knstrct.com/2012/01/10/weekly-roundup-libraries/

The difference between fast food ads and reality.
http://goo.gl/cLjnn (alphaila dot com)

I dislike the way commercial concerns are attempting to
capitalize on social media sites but my dislike isn't
likely to have much impact on sites like this one.
http://socialfresh.com/

A musical explaination of the economy (video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eqoYbj1QM

Someone asked me how to covert HTML files to XML files.
http://www.xmlfox.com/

We're stay-at-homes and rarely travel anywhere that isn't
work related but we made a special trip last year to
attend the Listen To Your Mother show when it came to
Austin.  Here are the videos of that show.
http://www.youtube.com/ltymshow#g/u

Here's a WYSIWYG editor for e-books.
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

This site is a little dated but still holds
a weath of valid electrical information.
http://masterslic.tripod.com/electritian.html

Is your boss a pshcho (quiz).
http://goo.gl/qDYXS (cnn dot com)

A pair of useful sites for those who love word games.
http://www.a2zwordfinder.com/index.html
http://www.morewords.com/

Who's up for a little solitaire?
http://www.123freesolitaire.net/play_online.htm
http://worldofsolitaire.com/
http://www.freeplaysolitaire.com/
http://www.goodsol.com/online/
http://www.digsolitaire.com/
http://www.solitairecraving.com/

I quit taking the newspaper when they quit offering a
Sunday only subscription and I've never missed anything
but the comics.  Fortunately, all the comics are available
online.   http://www.gocomics.com/

Taking pictures from space, on the cheap.
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Spacebridge

A virtual hacker hangout.
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces

Digitally designed things.   http://www.thingiverse.com/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Lisa.

What's cuter than hedgehogs?  Newborn hedgehogs!
http://goo.gl/BjhE5

Art, bent and twisted.
http://bentobjects.blogspot.com/

Here's a virtual keyboard to play with.
http://goo.gl/nfMk

Standard dimensions for household things.
http://www.dummaloop.com/tools/dimensions/

Holes of happiness.
http://thepotholegardener.com/

A gun to prepare for the coming Zombie Apocolypse.
http://goo.gl/fIioI

An amazing example of interactive art.
http://scott.j38.net/work/interactive/still_life/

Some of the best of the worst stupid laws.
http://www.stupidlaws.com/

Robert Burns at his finest.
http://goo.gl/IJgFn

An easy way to start your own internet newsletter.
http://www.tinyletter.com/

Interesting body modifications (not for the queasy).
http://goo.gl/MLHya

I'm going to make this case for my ukulele.
http://wizzley.com/diy-ukulele-case/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
http://www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
http://www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Three by guest editor Patrick Barden.
( http://romanroadwalker.wordpress.com/ )

Attrakt lets you create your own search box for your
favorite sites.   http://www.attrakt.com/

Print coupons for the stores you like.
http://www.couponyum.com/

Drag and drop file sharing.
http://drawpr.com/

Funny pics search engine
http://www.ohmygodlol.com/

Ever wanted your own Google?  Name it, bookmark it
It's all yours.   http://createfunnylogo.com/

You will be amazed at how wrong this search can be.
http://www.wackosearch.com/

A character for every game.  A rpg blog with a few maps.
http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/
More by the same author.
http://www.1km1kt.net/geomorph/

Learn how math is involved when working in music, fashion
and video game design.  See the videos, take the challenges.
http://www.thirteen.org/get-the-math/

I think it's pretty cool the way this commercial clothing
site lets women design their own unique dresses.
http://www.unitedstyles.com/en

Furoshiki are square cloths, used in Japan for all sorts of
creative purposes.  Like origami, there's an art to folding
them and many of the techniques are demonstrated and
tutorialized on this commercial website.
http://furoshiki.com/techniques/

Google Image search with download buttons
http://www.googleimageripper.com/

Find out just how much info your browser is revealing about
you.   http://www.stayinvisible.com/

Name that pop song.   http://musicpopquiz.com/

Draw it, animate it, watch it.   http://disapainted.com/

Dress up your blog or site with a few apps.
http://yourwebapps.com/

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

The five best desktop linux applications.
http://goo.gl/38piw (itworld dot com)

Linux: A getting-started guide.
http://goo.gl/1RiTw (pcworld dot com)

Making music on Linux; It's a thing.
http://goo.gl/Jvspr (mylinuxrig dot com)

Jeff Hoogland's favorite FOSS Applications.
http://goo.gl/RIYMe (blogspot dot com)

Ubuntu Linux resources.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

A Little Humor.

My wife is always right (author unknown):

Several days ago as I left a meeting at our church, I
desperately gave myself a personal TSA pat down. I was
looking for my keys. They were not in my pockets.

A quick search in the meeting room revealed nothing.

Suddenly I realized: I must have left them in the car!
Frantically, I headed for the parking lot. My wife, Diane,
has scolded me many times for leaving the keys in the
ignition. My theory is the ignition is the best place not
to lose them. Her theory is that the car will be stolen.

As I burst through the doors of the church to get outside,
I came to a terrifying conclusion: her theory was right.
The parking lot was empty.

My cell phone I had: I immediately called the police.
I gave them my location, confessed that I had left my keys
in the car, and reported it stolen.

Then I made the most difficult call of all. 'Honey,' I
stammered. I always call her 'honey' in times like these.
'I left my keys in the car, and it's been stolen.'

There was a period of silence. I thought the call had been
dropped, but then I heard Diane's voice.

'Ken,' she said through gritted teeth, 'I dropped you off!'

Now it was my time to be silent. Embarrassed, I said,
'Well, would you please come and get me?'

'I'll get there when I can,' she said, the acid dripping
in her voice. 'First I have to convince this policeman I
haven't stolen your car!'

Tips for This Issue.

A wealth of hardware info.   http://www.tomshardware.com/

Windows support center.   http://www.aumha.org/

Computer DIY info.
http://goo.gl/MgCjl (schrockinnovations dot com)

This collection is targeted at students of Indiana
University but much of the information is generic.
http://uits.iu.edu/

Got a malware you just can't get rid of?  This might help.
http://goo.gl/8tLXq (beta product from Microsoft dot com)

Sometimes this site can be very helpful with problems of
any variety (not just computers).   http://www.ehow.com/

Contributions from our readers and/or friends
are always welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you wish (just
tell me when you send them if that's what you
intended).  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

A collection of strange facts.
http://www.strangefacts.com/

Assorted weirdness.   http://bitsandpieces.us/

Online games.   http://www.kongregate.com/

Talking cats and dogs.   http://www.talkingpets.ca/

The work of artist, Andrew Rae.
http://www.andrewrae.org.uk/

Spell with flickr (type in word/s, click on 'spell').
http://metaatem.net/words/

In the kitchen and on the road with Dorie Greenspan.
http://www.doriegreenspan.com/

Just a colorful bird and a rearview mirror.
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8448/onreflectionat8.jpg

Dancing flamengos (short video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUb0evFZbNM

Short stories and classic literature from around the world.
http://www.americanliterature.com/

An interesting blog.   http://www.futilitycloset.com/

A virtual visit, as it were, to Ghana.
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/

A tour of Mount Vernon.   http://www.mountvernon.org/

George Washington, a US national treasure.
http://georgewashington.si.edu/

The Journal of Unlikely Science.
http://www.null-hypothesis.co.uk/

Australian culture.  http://wallabydown.com/

Another gaming site.   http://jayisgames.com/

Past views of the future.
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/paleofuture/

Our web-sibling Vinette Dephillipe sent me an article about
Jeff Guidry and his eagle named Freedom.  I was fascinated
and went looking for a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0O0SAgPuc

Web-sibling Norm Koeckritz sent us a link to these color
photos taken in America during the Great Depression.
http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.asp

From our 'other brother' Bill (Beeyil) Lanoue.
( Bill's blog http://ncvietvet.blogspot.com/ )

Video footage of a dramatic rescue.
http://goo.gl/puOJ6 (msnbc dot msn dot com)

From our web-sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

Save on ink when printing web pages.
http://www.printwhatyoulike.com/

Eyes on the solar system.
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/

An hour+ long video of Stevie Ray Vaughn at Daytona Beach
in 1987.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFKR105EBa0

A beautiful collection of Auroras wallpaper images.
http://goo.gl/K9bBt (howtogeek dot com)

Thank you Jo, Vi, Norm, Bill and John.

Last word, from Lisa:

Well, it's a New Year, so of course I'm having a new
adventure.  I've started and not continued with a few
instruments, but nothing really suited me well enough
to practice regularly.  Don thought that perhaps I'd
enjoy learning to play the ukulele so he got me this
one at Music123 http://goo.gl/BjRml along with 3 sets
of good strings http://goo.gl/iqNlC (very important).
I've had a blast and am actually eager to make time
for my new obsession.

Since he already plays guitar and bass and does
quite nicely on the ukulele, Don has helped me so
much as well as encouraging me every step of the
way.  I'd think he'd even practice for me if
he could (no, prolly not).

Already I know a few chords and can plink away at
a few songs rather badly, but since I've never made
music before, it's quite a thrill.  Let me tell you
right now it takes about 3 weeks to make some nice
callouses on your fingers, but at least there are only
4 strings to deal with and they're nylon, not steel.

Some of the best tutorial videos I've found are
made by Ukulele Mike, here's his YouTube channel.
http://goo.gl/IpFLn

If you've tried and been disappointed in playing any
other instrument, I encourage you to try a uke.
It's inexpensive, easier than most and a really
friendly, fun little instrument.  Don is so happy
being my 'musical enabler' that he ordered me
this, yes he did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400264279676#ht_10146wt_1319

I'll let you know how that comes out, meanwhile, the
adventure continues.

Lisa

https://plus.google.com/101326359135790262301

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
3:25 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
http://www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Instruction.