[dokuwiki] Re: plugins: provide a syntax wiki page

  • From: chris <jugg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 12:43:56 -0700

Christopher Smith wrote:
On 7 Apr 2008, at 18:50, chris wrote:

Has there been any discussion/attempts at this in the past (I didn't
find any)? Anyone have an idea on an implementation method?

It has been discussed before.

To any useful outcome? Do you have a pointer to these discussions? No reason to rehash the same points. Thanks.

Many plugins have very simple syntax and don't require whole pages. The
bottom of the wiki:syntax page does have a list of all syntax plugins.
The list includes the "description" field from the plugins internal
"info" structure. I believe plugins should really put their syntax in
the description. Sensible plugins will pull the response for that field
from the plugin's language files.

Yes, I see that your Box plugin provides a simple Syntax in the description. That is a useful step in the right direction.

Yet if the Syntax page could be generated, rather than static, then perhaps plugin's syntax could be inserted into the normal Syntax page layout. Plugins could specify what heading their syntax falls under in the Syntax page, and whether they override the default syntax. eg. Control Macros syntax section could be appended to by other plugins implementing such markup. Other Syntax Highlighting plugins could be inserted into the correct location (or even override the default Syntax Highlighting section).

I realize that is getting more involved and probably should just be the responsibility of the local wiki admin to update their syntax page accordingly. Although that is a lot of duplicate work for wiki admins. So even just having text in dokuwiki markup format that each admin could copy/paste into their syntax page would go a long ways.

Even just mentioning this issue in the plugin developer documentation might help plugin developers consider their options regarding this.

chris