[dokuwiki] Re: plugins: provide a syntax wiki page

  • From: Walter Torres <phpwalter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 12:23:55 -0600

Quoting chris <jugg@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hello,

While most plugins have a relatively simple syntax, many times it is
uncertain what plugins are available on a particular wiki, and even
then one must go search externally from the current wiki for the syntax
of the plugin before using it.

I agree. I have many people ask me how to use the plugin syntax they see on my site.

Yes, they can, and do, look for the syntax outside our Wiki structure. Many have the experience and where-with-all to do just that. But many don't.

DokuWiki has it's internal syntax page. Very nice, easy to understand. It would be real nice if it auto-magically added the syntax for any plugin that happens to be turned.

Yes, many plugins are simple and "don't require" a whole page to themselves, but many times people don't know a plugin is there, they use the "standard syntax" when a plugin syntax can be used instead/additional.

It would be nice, if there could be some magic, that allowed for a plugin sytnax to be "inserted" into the wiki syntax page where it adds to or replaces internal syntax. The DL plugins are first to mind.

I created a whole page of plugin syntax for my own use. It took quite a bit of time, but now I don't have to keep looking things up on external websites.

Thanks

Walter