[dokuwiki] Re: pending patches?

  • From: Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:53:17 +0100

Martin Tschofen schrieb am 18.01.2007 13:37:
Sander's idea works for most browsers (If I remember right IE has trouble
with it but I haven't checked IE7) if you use <q> and <blockquote> (which
are the semantically appropriate tags) to quote text in html. Then with css
you should be able to change the appearance of the quotes. If you're
thinking about using various different quote characters for the same
language, that wouldn't do it of course...martin

Martin,

I know that. But when the generated (X)HTMLcode has no special tags (like q or blockquote or cite or whatever) around the passages, I do not see what this css code helps for me. And there are no special tags in the code where I want quotations marks *other than those provided by DWs renderer*.

DokuWiki inserts quotation marks into the (X)HTML code - in my mail to Sander I said where this happens. And I do not want those question marks but some I think to be "nicer". And this is not possible (without changing the code) now, because the quotation marks are hardcoded inside DokuWiki. I want to have a variable instead of a constant, that's all. At the moment, I modified my template to replace the quotation marks:

      <!-- wikipage start -->
      <?php
        ob_start();
        tpl_content();
        $myhtml = ob_get_contents();
        ob_get_clean();
        $myhtml = str_replace('&ldquo;', '&raquo;', $myhtml);
        $myhtml = str_replace('&rdquo;', '&laquo;', $myhtml);
        echo $myhtml;
      ?>
      <!-- wikipage stop -->

I do not see that this can be done by css. CSS may *show* additional quotation marks that are not included in the displayed (X)HTML code, but it does no *replacement* of existing quotation marks. Or please give me an URL that proves me wrong.

Regards,
Werner

A: Because it reduces the legibility of text.
Q: Why is TOFU so bad?
A: TOFU
Q: What annoys most in Usenet?

On 1/18/07, Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxx> wrote:
Sander Tekelenburg schrieb am 18.01.2007 10:25:
At 09:41 +0100 UTC, on 2007-01-18, Werner Flamme wrote:

Esther Brunner schrieb am 18.01.2007 02:03:

And two additional wishes:

4. International typographical quotes setting ("Š" 'Š' / "Š" 'Š' / "Š"
[...]

I try to get a renderer plugin to work. This plugin uses $conf to store
the
  quotation marks. But now I think $lang will be the better place, so
one
can use language dependent quotation marks.
I can't follow what exactly you want and why. Are you aware that you can
use
CSS to suggest quote marks be generated?

q, blockquote {quotes: "\201C" "\201D"}
q:[lang="de"], q:[lang="nl"] {quotes: "\201E" "\201D" "\AB" "\BB"}
q:before, blockquote:before {content: open-quote}
q:after, blockquote:after {content: close-quote}

Hi Sander,

I did not know that this could replace the quotation marks that are
inserted by DokuWiki's renderer.

I inserted your css code into my template's essential.css, and I do not
see
any other quotes than those inserted by the renderer. I don't have a 'q'
tag in the whole page, but I have a lot of quotation marks - they are
neither marked as blockquote nor as 'q'.

I know about the :before and :after css tags, but this is not what I want
or need. I want to have other quotation marks than those inserted by the
functions singlequoteopening, singlequoteclose, doublequoteopening and
doublequoteclose in inc/renderer/xhtml.php. I do not think that css tags
can change the (X)HTML code of the underlying page ;-)

Regards,
Werner

‹…› / etc.), codepage windows-1252. They look different when using
"charset=iso-8859-1" ;-)

--
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ