[dokuwiki] Re: pending patches?

  • From: "Notamment.be" <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:26:37 +0100

Anika Henke a écrit :
Notamment.be wrote:
Anika Henke a écrit :
No problem. For the record, I am not French but a French-speaking Belgian. Very close but not identical. Belgian French is not more different from "official French"- if such a thing exists - then any

Ah, I see. Just like Hercule Poirot! :-)

Exactly :) Little gray cells :)

Typing «some text» or <<some text>> with no space is just plain weird *for me*.

You wrote in the succeeding mail:
 > I forgot to write that (I think that) nobody would enter %%" some text
 > "%%. That is just too weird.

Now I am a bit confused ...
Normally, you would type << some text >> with spaces and "some other text" without!?

Yes, because I expect :
<< some text >> -> « some text » (with nbsp)
"some text" -> “some text”
Which I think is the most correct and most agreed on interpretation.

To add to my confusion I have found two documents describing French typography which contradict themselves: On http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/ressources/bibliotheque/ecrits_administratifs/espacement.html it says that GUILLEMET OUVRANT and FERMANT have each one space before and after (no surprise) and GUILLEMET ANGLAIS (ouvrant et fermant) behave the same. Whereas on http://www.interpc.fr/mapage/billaud/ponctua.htm#parentheses it says that Guillemets à la française « » have the same behaviour as stated above, but Guillemets à l'anglaise “ ” have each an outer space, but no inner space ("on laisse des espaces à l'extérieur, mais pas à l'intérieur"), like "this" ...

Yes, there are many different interpretations. (Here France and Canada, but you can find divergences everywhere.) I can check "Le manuel de l'Imprimerie Nationale" (France) if you want.

Being a nitpicker, I enter %%<< some text >>%% in DokuWiki and wrote a (perhaps buggy) plugin to get %%«&nbps;some text&nbsp;»%% (only I used utf-8 encoding instead of html entities, not sure that is smart). Of course, I believe that my way is somehow the best one ;-)

Looking at your plugin page, I notice that it adds spaces to ? ! ; : » and «, but *not to " “ ” ‘ or ’*. Is that intentional?

Yes, as noted above.

--
Philippe