[dokuwiki] Re: pdf export

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:55:53 +0100

Oliver Geisen wrote:

Hello,

There is more than one, fpdf (www.fpdf.org) and PHP Pdf (sourceforge.net/projects/pdf-php) are two I know about. There could be others.

Right, the goal should be to render the wikipage into PDF directly, not throught HTML "transit".
The problem here is that both renderers (wiki->html and wiki->pdf) must be synchronized with their syntax.
This could be a challenge...
I don't think that's is where the challenge is.

The real difference between html rendering and pdf rendering is in xhtml you can describe the presentation separately in CSS and the browser takes care of the actual rendering of the page. The pdf renderer needs to do the job of not only the xhtml renderer but also the job of CSS and the browser. While this in itself may not be particularly difficult (in terms of complexity) it does make writing a pdf renderer a much more involved and far larger task.

Given there are html -> pdf packages available, a pdf renderer doesn't become useful until its output is at least equal to that of those packages. I hate to be negative, but I think that is a real lot of work. It could well be that you would get better results for less time by working on improving the aspects of those packages that you consider to be problems/poor.

Good luck,

Chris