[dokuwiki] more cleanup questions

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:37:14 +0200

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:01:35 +0200
Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Should locks be in cache or at the same level as attic, media, and
> > data?  When I see a 'cache' directory, in theory, I would think that
> > a user should be able to 'rm -rf cache/*' and  not effect the
> > operation of the system, other then causing it to rebuild/repopulate
> > the cache. Locks don't quite fit in that category since deleting
> > them could cause data to be lost since removing the locks could
> > allow multiple people to write the same file at the same time.

You are right of course. Even if these lockfiles should exist just for a second.

> This is a very important point, because I somtimes deleted the cache
> directory during development. This should not disturb a running
> DokuWiki in any way except to slow it a bit down due to rebuilding the
> cache. So I suggest following extension:

> data/
> |-- var/
> |   |-- mlists/
> |   |-- _htcookiesalt  ???
> |   `-- locks/

Should we really add another level here? How about this:

data/
|-- meta/
|   |-- 0/
|   |   `0363bfeef96b11ea3115e0d9b5a281d9.mlist
|   |-- 1/
|   |...
|   |-- e/
|   `-- f/
|   `-- _htcookiesalt
|-- locks/

If we add similar metadata later it could go into the same dir using a
different extension.

What about the config file? Should we merge the currently three config options
datadir, olddir and mediadir into one option pointing to the data directory and
assume a hardcoded name structure within? Or should cachedir and metadir
options be added? I would opt for the first one.

> I'm not sure about _htcookiesalt. May I delete this directory and the
> users wouldn't recognize it or will this break all existing
> connections?

All users would be logged of and would need to relogin - it's better to move it
out of the cache dir.