[dokuwiki] Re: getting rid of doku.php in the URL

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:28:21 +0000

John Concilus wrote:

In a related question, what are the differences between the two forms of rewriting
from a practical standpoint?

I'm afraid I don't understand the significance of using the.htaccess approach (=1) rather
than the internal (=2). I am running Apache with Redhat.

My earlier post was regarding search engine impact of converting my HTML site to
Dokuwiki. Some suggested privately to me to use rewriting, but I am not sure which
method to pick ;-)

My apologies if this is an obvious thing I'm missing somewhere!

Regards,

JTC
Not everyone has access to .htaccess files or if they do has access to mod_rewrite options through them. If you do, I'd use the .htaccess approach. The url's are nicer. If you don't .... ;)

Note, if you are running this on your own server, you don't need to use .htaccess you can modify the server config files drectly, either httpd.conf or vhosts.conf depending on your setup. You probably want to wrap the directives in either a <location (partialurl)> or a <directory (os path)> block.

Cheers,

Chris