[dokuwiki] Re: geocities.com, chat.ru blocked?

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 23:21:12 +0200

Hi!

[snip]
> It blocks all links to any site hosted at GeoCities as spam.
>
> Also, there are block-rules for
[russian domains]
> which also are free webhosting providers.
>
> I do not know anything about the following, but these seem to be free
> web hosts as well:
[snap]

I mailed the guys at chongqed.org - Here is their reply:

<reply>
I usually don't add stuff like that, but sometimes if the service is really
full of spam they have been.  I am very suprised Geocities is in there, but not
that supprised about the .ru stuff.  Those services are terrible with spammers.
 But at least one of them has been shutting down domains spammers set up (I
think it was newmail.ru) so that is an improvement, I don't know how fast they
are to react though.

We don't want to cause people to stop using the blacklist because we are
blocking things we shouldn't.  I removed Geocities now.  We will have to
research and discuss the others.  For our wiki we had blocked all .ru sites
because of a particular spammer that was hitting us all the time, but a rule
like that would never make it to the blacklist.  That TLD seems very popular
with spammers now.
</reply>

So I guess this should be solved with the next release. If you have any other
problems with the blacklist please contact them chongqed.org directly - they
are very responsive and nice guys :-)

BTW. Everybody: When you remove spam from my or your Wiki please always report
it at http://chongqed.org/submit.html that way we can fight Wiki-Spam together!