[dokuwiki] Re: & entities

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:06:53 +0000

Hi,

I understood that. Dokuwiki (dev version) has a character picker included in the editor. Dokuwiki uses utf-8 throughout, so special characters can be placed directly in the text. Most people don't know html entity codes off the top of their heads but can pick a character to place in the text. For me, that adds up to plenty of reason not to extend the syntax patterns of the parser to recognise entities. For those people/wikis that do have a requirement to handle entities surely a plugin or a entities.local.conf would solve their problem.

Cheers,

Chris

Notes:
[1] Entry in entities.local.conf could be as simple as &#7e; &#7e;
[2] Use %% ... %%, <nowiki>..</nowiki> or indent the lines by at least two spaces to avoid having text interpreted as syntax.

Eddie Kohler wrote:
Chris, this is not defining new syntax entities (like replacing >> with &laquo;), but about recognizing and preserving entities in the source (i.e., if the user types "&#7E;", leave that as "&#7E;" in the HTML output, rather than quoting it to "&amp;#7E;"). Among other things, this gives you a way to programmatically quote text that might be misinterpreted as wiki syntax.

On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Chris Smith wrote:

Eddie Kohler wrote:
Hi all,

I've written a patch that allows &whatever; entities to make it through to HTML. Other &s are quoted as usual. Would this be generally useful? Had someone else done it already?

Thanks,
Eddie

--DokuWiki mailing list - more info at

You can define entity codes in conf/entities.local.conf

Personally, I don't think a patch is appropriate, but a syntax plugin would be suitable.

Cheers,

Chris
--DokuWiki mailing list - more info at