[dokuwiki] Re: dmode permissions and 2006-09-28 rc1

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 5. Oktober 2006 23:34 schrieb Chris Smith:
Maybe I am missing something here.

Directory permissions are traditionally expressed in octal, hence the
starting zero[1].

Nope, the starting zero does not come from the fact that the number is octal, but from the fact that the first three bits are not set in many cases!
You are right, chmod the linux command interprets the parameter as octal - although it doesn't require four digits, it automatically assumes leading zeroes.

However ... as is pointed out in the documentation[1] the dokuwiki config file is php, and php needs the starting zero to know the number is octal[2], which I think explains the confusion here.

Back to the OP original point -- the correct number will be 04770 (or possibly 02770 as I believe he wants to set SGID not SUID).

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:config
"... The file is a piece of PHP code, so PHP syntax has to be preserved. ..."

[2] http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.chmod.php & http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.integer.php