[dokuwiki] Re: cleanup questions

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:32:24 +0200
Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) I thought about cleaning up the directory structure a little bit.
> I like to get most files off the top level directory and I also want
> to restructure the inc directory

You new directory structure looks not so bad to me. Nevertheless I had
some questions and thoughts about it:

1. What is so special on the files in /lib/exe that they deserve an
   own directory? Why don't you place them in /inc as all other *.php
   files?

2. You missed index.php ;-)

3. Templates are placed in /lib and plugins should also be located in /lib.
   So you have all external code in /lib and don't mix it up with the main
   code.

4. The configuration files should stay in /conf. Even those files which
    must be written to. Also Linux stores variable files in /etc (for eg.
    mtab) So all files that need to be changed for configuration are
    stored in one place. Don't spread them out in different locations.

5. The feed.php problem could be solved with a link until all subscribers
    have changed their configuration.

6. The name /lib is not as bad but if you like some sugestions here they
    are: gear, stuff, kit, rig. If you asked me I would stay with /lib.

> 2) My second question is about "compression" techniques for CSS and
> JavaScript files. Should we use such compressors? They remove
> whitespaces and do some optimizing but make the code nearly
> unreadable but they make the files much smaller (and sometimes even
> faster in execution). We could put the readable and the compressed
> version into the distribution but use the compressed one in the code.

How does those compressors work? Are they individual compilers? Do I
have to compile all javascript files before copy them to the web server?
How would you handle this? Do you add an Makefile to your DokuWiki
distribution?

You could add a directory /dist/jscript to your tree where you place all
javascript files. 'make' would compress and copy them to /lib/scripts.
Same would work with CSS and all other files you plan to preprocess.

 I hope I could help a bit
   Best Regards
     Matthias