[dokuwiki] cleanup questions

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:32:24 +0200

Hi all!

I'd like to your input on this...

1) I thought about cleaning up the directory structure a little bit. I like to
get most files off the top level directory and I also want to restructure the
inc directory

Here is my idea for this

dokuwiki/
|-- inc/
|   |-- auth/
|   |   |-- plain.php
|   |   |-- mysql.php
|   |   `-- ...
|   |-- parser/
|   |-- magpie/
|   |-- geshi/
|   |-- plugins/
|   `-- lang/
|-- lib/                   # better name??
|   |-- images/
|   |   |-- interwiki/
|   |   `-- smileys/
|   |-- tpl/
|   |-- scripts/           # javascript stuff
|   `-- exe/               # not sure about this one
|       |-- feed.php
|       |-- spellcheck.php # plannned ;-)
|       `-- ajax.php
|-- conf/
|-- data/
|  |-- media/
|  |-- pages/
|  |-- attic/
|  `-- changes.log
`-- doku.php

What do you think about it? It would make everything a little bit better
structured but the next upgrade could be a little bit harder for users...

I'm not sure where plugins should be put. Maybe they need to moved to lib as
inc is protected by a .htaccess file and plugins may want to come with their
own style sheet.

Maybe we should move everything that needs to be writable to data? So we should
add an data/auth dir for user.auth.php and acl.auth.php ?

Moving feed.php could make problems for existing subscribers...

2) My second question is about "compression" techniques for CSS and JavaScript
files. Should we use such compressors? They remove whitespaces and do some
optimizing but make the code nearly unreadable but they make the files much
smaller (and sometimes even faster in execution). We could put the readable and
the compressed version into the distribution but use the compressed one in the
code.

So what do you think?