[dokuwiki] What about backup?

Hello,

looking for a backup solution for my dokuwiki installations I found two
plugins and got a question:

BackupTool for dokuwiki
http://tatewake.com/wiki/projects:backuptool_for_dokuwiki
- uses shell_exec() for system packer tools
- has a nice configuration GUI
- saves into the media folder (publicly available)
- some problems with current dokuwiki
- the author promises an update soon

Doku Zip Backup
http://wiki.pilsch.com/zip.html
- uses a php-only zip implementation from PEAR
- built-in rules for the saved data
- creates the zip-archive for direct download
- restores the wiki from an archive
- stalled development (last version from 2006-06-01)

Both plugins have some problems with the current dokuwiki version, but I have
fixed them both to get some experience with them.

Question: What do you use for backing up your wiki? Is there no need for a
decent backup plugin?  Or is there a best-practice that can be used on a
normal webhost?

If there is a need for such a plugin, from my POV it should have the following
features:

don't use shell_exec() -- the only alternative I know of (I'm no PHP
developer) is the PEAR package File_Archive.

configure what has to be backed up with configuration collections (all, only
changed since ..., media only, etc.)

REST-interface

cron-driven backup

encrypt the archive