[dokuwiki] Re: Using mail_icon.gif in another website

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 21:13:56 +0200

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:46:39 -0400
"Bob McConnell" <rvm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It must be Groklaw rubbing off, but I need to correct this.
>
> The GPL only covers computer programs. An icon, picture or image is
> something else again, and would be covered under the Creative Commons
> license.

No it isn't something else (except the author decides so). It's arguable
if a 16x16 pixel icon is enough to be worth of a license, but since it's
part of DokuWiki it falls under the same license as all the rest. Anyway
no need to argue about this. The origin of the mail icon is the original
Plone [1] style from which DokuWiki borrowed some ideas. Plone is
licensed under the GPL as well so I guess the icon is covered by the GPL
so go ahead and use it.

[1] http://www.plone.org