[dokuwiki] Re: Using gettext for i18n

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:22:59 +0200

Hi!

> Has there been discussion about switching DokuWiki to use a more
> sophisticated translation environment, such as GNU gettext[1][2] ?

no. not until now ;-)

> While the current way of printing localized messages using code like
>
>   print $lang['breadcrumb'].':';
>
> does the job ok, it has the consequence of making the translation
> process a bit cumbersome as each translator has to (more or less)
> manually keep track of changes in inc/lang/??/.

Well that's what http://wiki.splitbrain.org/langcheck.php was invented
for ;-)

> Using gettext, the translations could be tracked automatically and
> edited with standard localization software (such as poedit, kdebabel,
> gtranslator etc.) and even simpler web-based tools such as the Rosetta
> Translation Portal. Andi, what do you think? Other comments?

Well there is at least one tool for DokuWiki's way:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/687/

The thing is that you need a special tool when using gettext. For the
simple array we use in DokuWiki everything you need is a utf-8 aware
texteditor, so I think it is simpler for non-Programmers to do
translations.