[dokuwiki] Re: Using Dokuwiki to publish books

  • From: Chris Tapp <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:17:42 +0100

I personally dislike rewriting plugins too much to meet requirements for book export. The ODT plugin is great but needs another step to be converted to PDF.

In my company we use another Approach. Style the page to be printed as you like it. Then use the siteexport plugin with the PDF extension. This works pretty well and the structural and optical parts are detached. Only caveat: designing the first template takes a while.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we are already a long way down the path we chose ;-)

I've also written a set of special plugins to support formatting and documentation automation features that we need (and which are unlikely to be of use to others) - our documents contain a lot of content that's generated from other parts of the document. These already support most (if not all) of the ODT features that we need that I don't consider "generic" (e.g. table formatting).

Converting from ODT to PDF for us is simple as the OpenOffice PDF export does exactly what we need.

Chris