[dokuwiki] Tips needed for syntax plugin

Hi

I want to write a little plugin, that

  - takes the input between two tags <myplug>blah</myplug>,
  - passes "blah" to a command that produces a pdf for download,
  - and generates some thumbnails for the downloadable pdf

1) I managed to render <p>blah</p> with the color-example of
the tutorial. But I dont understand the return values of handler(). The
skeleton says

  @return Integer The current lexer state for the match.

But all examples return a more complicated array(). Is this explained
somewhere a bit more detailed? What is the structure of "lexer state"
is it the params and result of handle() ?

(Oh wow, I just realized that I ran into _the_ problem of untyped
languages: the types are unclear.)

2) If I get it right, I would generate the files in handle() (but on
"ENTRY" or "UNMATCHED" ?). I would move it to data/media. How would i
pass the filenames to render()? Via a private field in the plugin
class?

3) As I said I generate a pdf via the shell and have
thumbnails for the single pages.

Where should the files go best? Would I need to generate any metadata
when I simply put it under data/media? How about versioning/caching
then?

Thanks for any tips, Sebastian.