[dokuwiki] Re: The database question: a new spin

  • From: Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:26:41 +0300

On 9/16/05 1:43 PM, "Andreas.Trawoeger@xxxxxxx" <Andreas.Trawoeger@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I am new to this list, and have not see full discussion
>>
>> * First of all I am NOT agree with words on wiki site:
>>     that if db server is down then bla bla bla..
>>     I think text files are not so more safe than db files....
>
> The huge advantage of textfiles is they are easy to replicate. All you
> need is a samba share (or in our case a NetApp Filer) + windows offline
> replication and you easily have an offline copy of your dokuwiki on half a
> dozen laptops, you can access even if your whole datacenter has burned
> down a couple of minutes ago.

You need this. We no.

We need inet acces for collective work to server.
We use linux, macs and windows clients....

We do not have offline copies of the whole servre info on each client
computer...

> Using a database for storing the pages would make that a lot more
> complicated, because you would have to setup a database on every laptop
> and run into troubles, because you can't simple copy the database files
> while it is running.
>
> Our current setup is storing all dokuwiki files (program files+ pages)
> describing our emergency & disaster procedures via NFS on a central NetApp
> Filer cluster mirrored to a second location. This way you can easily mount
> the dokuwiki files on any Linux server and start it there if the our
> dokuwiki server crashes for whatever reason. Using a database would make
> that more complicated too, because you would first have to recover the
> crashed database, before you could access your disaster documentation.

I do not say wiki should drop texts.

Just always better support as text files so dbs way

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology