[dokuwiki] Re: The database question: a new spin

  • From: Andreas.Trawoeger@xxxxxxx
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:43:51 +0200

Hi!

dokuwiki-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am 16.09.2005 11:05:02:

> On 9/16/05 5:08 AM, "Redeeman" <redeeman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am new to this list, and have not see full discussion
>
> * First of all I am NOT agree with words on wiki site:
>     that if db server is down then bla bla bla..
>     I think text files are not so more safe than db files....

The huge advantage of textfiles is they are easy to replicate. All you
need is a samba share (or in our case a NetApp Filer) + windows offline
replication and you easily have an offline copy of your dokuwiki on half a
dozen laptops, you can access even if your whole datacenter has burned
down a couple of minutes ago.

Using a database for storing the pages would make that a lot more
complicated, because you would have to setup a database on every laptop
and run into troubles, because you can't simple copy the database files
while it is running.

Our current setup is storing all dokuwiki files (program files+ pages)
describing our emergency & disaster procedures via NFS on a central NetApp
Filer cluster mirrored to a second location. This way you can easily mount
the dokuwiki files on any Linux server and start it there if the our
dokuwiki server crashes for whatever reason. Using a database would make
that more complicated too, because you would first have to recover the
crashed database, before you could access your disaster documentation.

If for whatever reason I have too much time at my hand I would like to
write a dokuwiki offline reader supporting running from a USB Stick
(probably via something like http://upx.sourceforge.net or
http://www.u3.com).This way you could store your whole wiki + reader on an
usb stick you can store under you pillow or a fire proof safe for the case
your datacenter + your laptop burns down.

Probably I'm going to do it just to be able to write a recovery procedure
that goes something like this:
- Extingish the fire
- Locate the safe and open it
- Look for an USB Stick saying Dokuwiki
- Mount the stick to a laptop and do what it says

cu andreas