[dokuwiki] Re: The database question: a new spin

> > > The main benefit is that you improve server availability
> > I'm not so sure that this is likely for common usage scenarios.
>
> Right, server availability is not an issue in common usage scenarios.
> By definition, availability defines the peak load that the server can
> handle, and if peaking is common you need a new server.

I think my answer was too facetious.  Here's a better answer...

Most users would not bother with the database.  But suppose one day some big
site links to yours and you suddenly get more traffic than your server can
handle.  Some people can't connect, some connected browsers are timing out.
You could then just install the database caching system and get some relief.
That's easier, quicker, and cheaper than upgrading the server box.

In this particular case, the relief won't arrive until enough pages have been
visited to flesh out the database cache.  This might be good reason to take the
server down for a moment and run some special utility that force the entire
database to build.  It's always better to anticipate the load beforehand.

Your question got me thinking about when exactly a user would install the
database.  Thanks!

~joe