[dokuwiki] Template thoughts

  • From: "Mr Anchovy" <mr.anchovy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:35:38 +0000

I have installed DokuWiki on a couple of sites recently, and because these sites wanted to impose their own styles on DokuWiki I have been doing alot of work with templates.

I always use Smarty (http://smarty.php.net) for my own development projects, and I see that Andi has used it too for VideoDB, but not for DokuWiki.

I have now built a plugin for DokuWiki that lets me use Smarty and apart from a few hacks (to replace inc/html.php) it works really well with a standard DokuWiki installation. It will certainly be easier for me to maintain than the mix of rendering methods currently in DokuWiki. I am now
working on stabilising it for a public release.

Andi what are your thoughts about this? Are you happy with what is in DokuWiki at the moment? Would you be interested in adopting a progressive implementation of Smarty within DokuWiki core? How about incorporating some minor core changes to make substitution of inc/html.php easier?

Any other thoughts?