[dokuwiki] Re: Tagging on Dokuwiki

  • From: Adrian Sai-wah Tam <adrian@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:41:50 +0800

Bob McConnell wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: dokuwiki-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dokuwiki-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adrian Sai-wah Tam
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:18 AM
To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dokuwiki] Tagging on Dokuwiki

Hi,

I am not sure whether posting here is appropriate. My idea is as follows:

DokuWiki is simple and good. But I think it is better if one can place
tags on pages besides the namespace hierarchy. I know that there is a
tag plug-in by Esther Brunner but I didn't found it is what I am expected.

The tag plug-in can help classifying pages and it should be *embedded*
into DokuWiki just like the search function. We should be able to:
1. Create new tags or delete tags in the admin page
2. Select tags from the editing toolbar when we are editing
3. The tags shall be listed in the footnote just like the creation date

Tags should be part of the metadata of a page, too. Actually, did
anybody discussed about this issue so far?

- Adrian.

Adrian,

Please expand on what you mean by "tags". I know of several different
descriptions, and some of them don't fit this description as well as
others. This sounds like you want to add a list of keywords to each page
for searches and indexing.

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
Principal Communications Programmer
The CBORD Group, Inc.
61 Brown Road
Ithaca NY, 14850
Phone 607 257-2410
FAX 607 257-1902
Email rvm@xxxxxxxxx
Web www.cbord.com

Especially in the blogs, people tag pages (whatever you call it, keyword, tags, etc). This is essential to blog because blog assumes no namespace hierarchy to classify pages. The good thing is that, you can easily get a list of pages that is tagged with such word.

Another example is on http://slashdot.org/, currently all new entries are all tagged (e.g. programming, intel, music), although it is also put into categories (e.g. "Science", "Your Rights Online", "Apple"). Definitely you can find a page using categories, but sometimes you will find a page fits more than one categories and this is where tags are useful.

My wish is to have something like Slashdot on DW: you can search (such as http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=XXX ) and get page from namespace (e.g. http://science.slashdot.org/ ) and also base on tags (like http://slashdot.org/tags/biotech).

I hope I made myself clear.