[dokuwiki] Re: Starter template and new default template

  • From: Myron Turner <turnermm02@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:28:53 -0600

On 11/8/2010 10:19 AM, Myron Turner wrote:
On 11/7/2010 6:31 PM, Anika Henke wrote:
Hi all,

I just released my new Starter Template
[http://www.dokuwiki.org/template:starter] which is designed to be used
as a starting point for template developers.
And I mention this now not just for marketing reasons. ;-)

This template will also be the base of the new default template.
Although the design for that will be completely different, the main
structure of how the styles are done will stay the same: the core styles
(all styles starting with an underscore) will be kept and only the
design styles (not starting with an underscore) will be changed.

So, if you check out the starter template, you can basically have a
sneak peek at parts of the new default template and can start discussing
changes now. (Although the design is not open for discussion, as there
is no design yet.)

Cheers,
Anika

I have two structural thoughts.

First, you have retained the possibility of using the old footer.html,
and I assume many sites do use it. But, when footer.html is present, it
conflicts with the hard-coded license footer which you have in place.
Perhaps you can set it up as an if/then and give the content of
footer.html the same placement as the hard-coded footer, since now
footer.html gets pushed up against the left hand margin.

Second, when the editor opens, the sidebar disappears. It could be
useful to have a button which which allows the sidebar to be displayed
during editing.

Myron

I knew there was another reason why I thought access to the sidebar would be useful during editing: without the sidebar in place, when using the Preview button, the layout of the page will not be the same as when the page is finally saved.

--
Myron Turner
http://mturner.org/