[dokuwiki] Re: Silly debian/ubuntu installation defaults - but how do I fix them?

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:17:52 +0200

Hi Chris.

Le dimanche 25 juillet 2010, Chris G a écrit :
> I have just installed dokuwiki on my Ubuntu 10.4 server, no problem at
> all installing it and the default start page pops up ready to be edited.
>
> However, there is one big problem, there seems to be no admin user so I
> can't get to the admin menus at all.  How do I get to configure some
> users?

I am the maintainer of the Debian package for DokuWiki. This package is
part of the “universe” domain of Ubuntu packages, which means that it is
take automatically from Debian without modification. That is why the
version available in Ubuntu is simply an old version from Debian
unstable.

As you pointed out, the version 0.0.20091225c-3 of this package does not
configure any wiki user, so this setup does not enable the full
functionnality of DokuWiki. I corrected this shortcoming when I took the
work of maintaining this package: starting from version 0.0.20091225c-4,
the package installer starts asking for an administrator account and
some other settings (the same than the regular PHP setup page, in fact).

So, if you can, I suggest that you purge the package, and install a
version superior to 0.0.20091225c-4 (do not simply upgrade, as it would
not touch the existing accounts setup (or non-setup, in fact)). For
instance, you can get the upcoming 0.0.20091225c-6 from my own web space
[1].  This package does not have very strong dependencies on other
package versions, so it should work on Ubuntu without problem.

    [1] http://vanvogt.ortolo.eu/~tanguy/deb/dokuwiki/

I you want to keep your version from Ubuntu, you can still follow the
suggestions from the wiki [2].

    [2] http://www.dokuwiki.org/install:debian

Regards,

--
Tanguy Ortolo
Maintainer of the Debian package for DokuWiki