[dokuwiki] Re: Silly debian/ubuntu installation defaults - but how do I fix them?

  • From: Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:29:19 +0100

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:29:41AM -0700, Kite wrote:
>    Hi Chris,
>
>    Open a terminal or command line window.
>    Try "sudo bash"
>    Try "su root"
>
>    sudo (super-user do) should ask for YOUR password, and leave you in a
>    superuser command line.
>    su (switch/set user) should ask for root's password; try blank, or just
>    hit return.  You should have set a password during set up, so try those
>    options, too.
>
>    The restriction is that a superuser can't log in remotely, and can't login
>    directly on the console.  You ALWAYS have to log in as someone else, then
>    elevate your access.
>
>    Once you're in as root by either method, use passwd to change the root
>    password for yourself so other users can have accounts, but not just bump
>    to root.
No, the problem is not the default Ubuntu 'no root' setup, I know all
about that.  The system I installed dokuwiki on is an existing server
where I'm quite happy administering etc.

The problem is that I didn't know how to get admin rights in Dokuwiki
as the default installation just pops up a 'start' page (not yet
created) with no links to admin.

What hadn't happened was that the Ubuntu installation hadn't run (or
done the equivalent of) Dokuwiki's install.php.  What I had to do was
explicitly run intall.php - and I had to remove a bit of code because
the hash was wrong.

Chris Green